After years of transporting passengers,
automobiles and railcars across the Straits of Mackinac, the Chief
Wawatam ended service. Built for the Mackinac Transportation Company
for service between St. Ignace and Mackinaw City, the Chief Wawatam
arrived at St. Ignace on October 18, 1911.
In 1988, the Chief Wawatamthe
last coal-burning vessel on the Great Lakeswas sold to a Canadian firm
that cut the 338-foot car ferry down to a deck barge.