Lewis and Clark Expedition

Phase 1 / Date 11: August 25-September 10, 1804

From the Vermillion to Boat Island [SD]

[Click here to go back to the previous day.]

			August 25, 1804
	It was a cloudy morning today.  Capt. Lewis and myself went to go see 
the Mound.  They dropped down to the mouth of the White Stone Creek at 
about 8 a.m.  They  ascended to the top of the rising ground of about 60 
feet, from the top of this high land the country is level and an open plain.  
The Indians call this the Mountain of Little People or Spirits.  At around 12 
p.m. we arrived at the top of the hill.  By now the day was very hot and we 
stopped at the White Stone Creek to cool off.  After cooling off we refreshed 
ourselves with grapes, plumbs, and blue currents.  After this we got back on 
the trail and onto the surrounding plains.  The wind began to pick up and 
forced insects of many kinds to be driven to us.  This then caused small 
birds to arrive where they fed on the insects.
	From the top of the mound you could see herds of buffaloes feeding 
on the plains.  The soil of the plains were very fertile.
	The boat proceeded on down the river without us.  During this time, I 
killed an elk and Fields brought in five deer.  
	We set the plains on fire to catch the attention of the Sioux Indians.  
Later that evening in began to rain.

			August 26, 1804
	Today we prepared the deer meat and made the elk skins into a toe 
rope.  We sent out Drewyer and Shannon to look for the horses which we 
lost.  Sergt. Gass was put in charge of the late Sergt. Floyd's mess and 
discharge others of such duties.

			August 27,1804
	Today the morning 
star was much larger than before.  We sent Shields and Fields to go hunt for 
Shannon and the horses.  
	There was a gentle breeze out and we passed the White Clay Marl.  A 
large of the stone seemed to made up of lime with a trace of cobalt in it.  It 
resembled slate but was much softer than slate.  
	Three Indians informed us that there was a camp of Sioux near the 
mouth of the Jacque river.  We sent Mr. Dorion, the Sioux interpreter, to 
invited the chiefs to the Sioux nation to our council.  The third Indian that 
stayed with us was of the Mohair nation and told us that the Mohair were 
going to make peace with the Pawnee tribe.  
	This evening was pleasant and cool and the river was slowly sinking 


			August 28, 1804
	One of our boats ran a snag and almost sank.  Because of this I had to 
unload the boat  and put the supplies on another boat.  I began to observe 
more timber in the valleys.  Shields and Fields joined us again, but they 
could not find Shannon and the horses.  We then sent a hunter to go look 
for Shannon and the horses.  This afternoon the wind really began to pick 

			August 29, 1804
	Last night and this morning it rained hard.  We sent Colter in pursuit 
of the Shannon and the horses.  I had some men make a toe rope and I 
started writing a speech.  Dorion and the five chiefs and about 70 Indians 
arrived on the opposite side of the river at around 4p.m.  We sent Sergt. 
Pryor and young Mr. Dorion to the side where the Indians were with tobacco 
and corn and to inform the Indians that we would speak to them tomorrow.  
	Segt. Pryor informed me that they were treated very well and were 
presented with a fat dog to eat for their respect of the party.

			August 30,1804
	This morning the fog was very thick.  We were preparing some medals 
for the Chiefs and finished my speech.  At 12 p.m. we met with the Indians 
and Capt. Lewis delivered the speech to them.  After the speech we smoked 
the peace pipe  with them and retired back to our camp.  

			August 31, 1804
	Today  I rose early and instructed Mr. Dorion to bring about peace 
with the Sioux,, Mohair, Pawnee, Ponckaries, Otiose, and the Missouri Indian 
tribes.  In the late evening we gave Mr. Dorion a bottle of whiskey and he 
and the other Indians crossed the river and camped on the other side.  It 
rained tonight and the wind was very violent.  The river is now rising.

			Sept. 1, 1804
	Today we set out with a small gentle breeze.  Mr. Dorion left his 
kettle and had to sent back for it.  We passed by the whitish to yellowish 
chalk along the sides of the river walls.  The sides of the river are about 170 
feet high and the high lands approach the river from each side.  It was 
cloudy all day and it began to rain.  We saw a beaver house today but we 
could not find the opening.  Drewyer killed an elk and a beaver after night 
and a number of catfish were caught.  

			Sept. 2,1804
	Today we got an early start and passed the island and landed under 
the yellowish Clay Bluff.  The wind was very hard and it got cold and rainy.  
Fields and Howard killed four elk and we skinned the elk.  As it cleared up it 
was cold and the high lands were uneven  and leveled back.  I noticed a few 
small streams traveling into the river above.  
	I surveyed the ancient works on the walls and am told that these 
works are all along the country.  

	Sept. 3,1804
	A very cold morning at sun rise.  This part of the creek is small and 
gradually widens with sand bars.  We came to the edge of the plain and 
camped for the night.  We saw signs of both Shannon and Colter.  Here the 
grapes are many.

	Sept. 4, 1804 
	We set out early today and the wind was very cold.  We proceeded 
into a bend called the White Lime.  Miles up passed the White Paint river and 
between those we passed under a bluff of Red Cedar.  At the mouth of the 
river we came to a river which was four feet deep.  The current here is very 
rapid and our canoes don't work well in the river.  It forms into the 
Missouri and I am told that it is gentler.

	Sept. 5, 1804
	Today I saw some wild goats or antelope on the hill above us.  One of 
the hunters brought back a snake.  It was four feet long and had small black 
spots on its back.  Although it was not poisonous, it did hiss very loud.

Sept. 6,1804
	This morning there was a storm which lasted only a few minutes.  The 
wind was very cold today and we ended up camping at the upper point of 
some timber.  I saw several goats and buffaloes on the hills.

Sept. 7, 1804
	    This morning was very cold.  We set out at day light and a the foot 
on this hill we discovered an animal called the Prairie Dog.  These type of 
animals burrow into the ground and the one had a rattle snake in its mouth.  
We caught one and killed one.  We dug six feet deep into the ground to try 
and find their lodges.  The ground was hard clay.  In some of their holes we 
poured five gallons of water trying to wash them out but only one of them 
came out of its hole.  The mouth resembled that of a rabbit with legs 
shorter and toe nails.  The fur was soft and their eyes resembled that of a 

Sept. 8, 1804
	Today we set out early and had a gentle breeze to us.  I tried to find 
some more of the prairie dogs and goats.  We traveled over a ridge and a 
mountain country.  This prevented me getting back to the boat in time to 
see Capt. Lewis kill a buffalo.  On the way I saw white wolves and buffalo.

Sept. 9, 1804  
	Capt. Lewis went out to fill the buffalo today.  I directed my servant 
York to kill a buffalo near the boat.  Today I saw many buffalo grazing on 
the plains.

Sept. 10, 1804
	It was a cloudy morning and we again set out in a gentle breeze.  We 
passed two small islands.  Today three buffalo, one elk and deer were killed 
today and the river is starting to fall.

[Click here to go to the next day.]