K-12 TLC Guide to Children's Literature
|K-12 TLC Guide
|K-12 TLC Guide
- Backyard Rescue: 1998-99 Young Hoosier Award Nominee:
- ABC of Crawlers and Flyers:
- Bobcat Year, Amazon.com.
- Related K-12 TLC Topic Guide: Cats.
- God's Dog: A Celebration of the North American Coyote:
- Joey : The Story of a Baby Kangaroo:
- Lily Pond: Four Years with a Family of Beavers:
- "Despite a widely held notion to the contrary, the expression "the survival of the fittest" has little to do with battling for supremacy. What must be preserved, after all, are not a handful of belligerent individuals, but those characteristics that favor successful reproduction. Ultimately, it is the best mother, the best hunter, the best hider, the best builder, the best runner, and the most healthy and intact animals whose genes are passed on to the next generation. And to remain healthy and intact, combat must be held to a minimum. Some species manage this by distancing themselves from others of their kind, each individual claiming and marking an exclusive living space for itself. The more socially evolved animals, however, having discovered the value of cooperation, had to invent complex strategies for getting along with their relatives-- including built-in prohibitions against fighting."
- Related K-12 TLC Topic Guide: Beavers.
- Out of the Wild: Story of Domesticated Animals, Amazon.com.
- Related K-12 TLC Topic Guide: Pets.
- Wild Horse Summer:
- Wild Horses I Have Known:
- Your Cat's Wild Cousins:
- Your Dog's Wild Cousins:
If you find links that are either unsuitable or no longer current, please contact the TLC.
This guide last edited 03/26/2007
This guide last revised 10/24/2007