The ACCESS INDIANA Teaching
Teacher Lesson Plans Archive
TITLE: Jan Brett
GRADE LEVELS: 1-5
AUTHOR: Christy Fraley
SCHOOL: Hershey Elementary School
DISTRICT: Tippecanoe School Corporation, IN
APPROPRIATE GROUP SIZE(S):
Whole Class: no
Small Group: yes
TIME REQUIRED: 2-5 Days
- Explore many of Jan Brett's books.
- Become familiar with author/illustrator Jan Brett and her stories.
- Recognize Jan Brett's unique borders in her stories.
- Create their own illustration using a border.
- Illustrate their favorite scene from another book using the border method.
- E-mail to a friend a postcard from one of Jan Brett's books .
- State Standard Number 1:
Exhibit a positive attitude toward language and learning through discussing personal experiences writing for personal satisfaction and enjoyment
- State Standard Number 3:
Comprehend developmentally appropriate materials including:
- Picture books
- Predictable books
- Materials of personal choice
- Reference materials
- Student writing
State Standard Number 7:
Communicate orally with people of all ages by collaborating in groups sharing ideas
MATERIALS and RESOURCES:
- Jan Brett's Homepage
- Internet access
- E-mail address of a friend
- Jan Brett books
- White drawing paper
- Markers/color crayons
- The teacher should be very familiar with the Jan Brett's Homepage, and prepared to assist students who have problems navigating the web site.
- The teacher may want to have some extra e-mail addresses available for students who do not have any friends with e-mail addresses.
- Students will explore books by Jan Brett, and then use the Jan Brett's Homepage to "Meet Jan Brett".
- Each student will click on the "Send a Postcard", choose their favorite Jan Brett story, and e-mail a friend.
- Students will select their favorite scene from a book not written or illustrated by Jan Brett, and then will illustrate the scene using Jan Brett's unique border method. Students will share their illustrations with classmates, and then the teacher will put all illustrations into a class illustration book.
- Student exploration of Jan Brett books.
- Student e-mail postcard.
Students can write their own stories and illustrate them using Jan Brett's method of unique borders.
TLC Front Page
If you find links that are either unsuitable or no longer current, please contact the TLC.